View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
agree with almost everything in this post.

the only part i'm not so sure about is "always" in the sentence i bolded. while the sum was definitely better than the separate parts initially, after Rumours, huge fame and huge egos, it all fell apart. here and there glimpses of it resurfaced on some of the songs, but never on the whole album anymore, with all 5. FM fans keep trying to re-catch that lightening in the bottle and keep claiming that can still be the case. Lindsey and Mick and Christine on and off kept trying since the Dance, too. it didn't happen. it's been 40 years plus since it last happened.
I think we're actually saying the same thing, elle. My point was that after Rumours, they never really naturally worked together in an organic way (oh god, I sound like LB....where's the cycles?) on an entire album which resulted in the fragmented approach you see on Tusk, Mirage, Tango, Say You Will...with fragmented and disjointed results. It's not bad...I mean Tusk has amazing moments..Gypsy is one of the most beautifully produced songs that I know...and I love pieces of the others from each of the songwriters. But there hasn't been another Rumours and there won't be. You're right, they've been trying to recapture that for 40+ years and have failed each time because their egos, solo careers, and competition with and hatred of each other just kept getting in the way. Once they made money on The Dance and saw the market for money following in the steps of The Eagles, it was too late. There was little desire to even try to let the creative juices fly. When they tried with Say You Will...it led to Stevie icing anything further.