View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Blows my mind! I didnt even know of the internet's existence until 97-ish...
i remember that you could access and search some science sites like CAS from libraries of some universities for an outrageous per minute fee back in the 80s.

not sure whether all's correct here since it's wikipedia but some interesting read -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...note-stats1-27
"TCP/IP network access expanded again in 1986 when the National Science Foundation Network (NSFNET) provided access to supercomputer sites in the United States from research and education organizations, first at 56 kbit/s and later at 1.5 Mbit/s and 45 Mbit/s.[18] Commercial internet service providers (ISPs) began to emerge in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The ARPANET was decommissioned in 1990. The Internet was commercialized in 1995 when NSFNET was decommissioned, removing the last restrictions on the use of the Internet to carry commercial traffic.[19] The Internet started a rapid expansion to Europe and Australia in the mid to late 1980s[20][21] and to Asia in the late 1980s and early 1990s.[22]"

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"