View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie from the New Yorker article about the meaning of Storms:

So you can use the tragedy. “Always been a storm” [from the song “Storms”]—that I wrote about my best friend who moved in with my boyfriend, Mick, and her husband had to call and tell me that. “Sarah moved in with Mick, I just wanted you to know that.” And I jetted out the back door into the mountains and sat out there for three hours contemplating my future, ’cause, well, I just lost my best friend and I lost Mick, and I’m in a band with Mick, which means I can’t just dump Mick.

The song, it says, “Every night that goes between I feel a little less / As you slowly go away from me / This is only another test / Every night you do not come, your softness fades away / Did I ever really care that much? / Is there anything left to say? / Every hour of fear I spend, my body tries to cry / Living through each empty night, a deadly calm inside.” And then it says, you know, “Never have I been a blue calm sea / I have always been a storm.” So that came from that. And you know what? That’s worth it. That’s worth going through. And then, when you go back to sing those songs, you reattach yourself to what happened. And it’s O.K. because it’s not forever. It’s just for that moment. So, every time I sing that, I’m sitting up there on that mountain looking down at Doheny Drive in L.A., trying to figure out how I was going to make it through this.