Thread: Parents
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I think when it comes down to it, it will be so important to you to have your child see a good example that it will come easily for you. Strange as it sounds, it's even more likely to go well if your husband had the same kind of home life you did. Then it will be important to him to set a good example, as well.
My husband and I both grew up around a lot of fighting and both had many instances of getting hit by a parent just because the parents were angry at each other, not us. We both have memories of being scared to death because our parents were fighting. I also have memories of my parents being violent with each other.
I'm not saying we've never disagreed with each other, but we handle it in a constructive way. Our son has never seen us yelling and screaming at each other.
He sees that someone can disagree and it's not the end of the world. Even if the problem isn't resolved right away, he can still see that we love each other and treat each other with respect. I hope he does the same when he is older.
I never want kids because, although I've done my best and am still trying to not be anything like my parents, I know I'll never be able to guarantee that I'll not be anything like them as a parent... and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm hoping to have dogs all my life instead

Last edited by RickRobert; 11-03-2010 at 01:00 PM..