View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
By your account you would hate "Bitches Brew" because it contains no words, as does much of Miles Davis' music.

chriskisn has provided the divide between fans of the original FM lineup, and the band that went to California.

"Rattlesnake Shake" from "Live in Boston Volume 2", is essential listening for anyone who loves bands that interact, and play together very well, words are just fluff. Of course how could you ignore a band that went to Hugh Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" in early 1970, to play a song about male masterbation!?!? What happened to that band? They went pop!

If I'm listening to Pete Townshend, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, or The Beatles, words matter. Does "Rumours" stack up to Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" in hidden meanings?
Actually I'm between the divide of the original FM fans and the cali-sugar-pop. I'm a Welch, Weston, Walker era fan or a Vito, Burnette, Bramlett fan. I liked Rumours era FM, but I didn't become passionate about the band until I heard the three best albums the band has released (MTM, Penguin, HAHTF).

I guess though that words do matter to me, probably because I am not primarily a FM fan, but primarily a Dylan fan. Without words Dylan would just be some guy strumming somewhat badly on a guitar.