View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer

I think a major problem that the Republican party has is a lack of moderates. Their views have been shifting right, starting in the Reagan years especially. There are a handful of Republican moderates in Congress now, and I think it's too bad.
You're right. The main reason I am a registered Democrat is because I find Republican stand on social issues abhorrent. In my heart of hearts I'm probably more Libertarian than anything, but even that strict platform is a bit extreme for me. Perhaps I could appreciate some of the Republican economic or foreign policy views, but I just can't get past the anti-gay, rabid Christianity identity. I don't think God should be a factor in policy making.
My personal opinion is that the American people get too wrapped up in things about politicians that have nothing to do with policy making. I don't care if anyone is a Christian or not. I don't care about where Howard Dean's wife is (a recent pet peeve of mine) or Hilary Clinton's hair-do. I don't care if anyone is cheating on their spouse. I care about how they vote on the issues I care about.

Take on the situation but not the torment