View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Not to be critical of your experience, secretlove, but I think Stevie's point in the interview was if she had listened to her doctor, she would have ended up dead. Clearly, Stevie was right to quit seeing him!

I work in mental health, and I know Klonopin can be a helpful and effective med; like any meds, however, there are side effects and a chance for addiction.
I'm in the mental field myself and I agree with you, I am slightly shocked at some comments here.
The relationship between therapist and patient isn't equal, from the moment you start seeing a therapist you put yourself in his or her care and the doctor has an ethical duty towards your treatment. The therapeutic relationship requires trust on one part and competence on the other, and the therapist has on the patient a strong psychological authority because he or she is supposed to be the "expert" and carer, and not many of us would be able to break it. Those who say that it's Stevie's fault that she took the meds he prescribed her, are ignorantly wrong.
Personally I think the doctor Stevie was seeing was one of those psychiatrists who rely too much on meds instead of a wholesome comprensive therapy, there are sadly many of them especially in the US where it's more spread a conception of mental illness that is more fisiological than psicodinamic.