View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
originally posted by ricohv
...because isn't it even more weird that they would do a Lindsey song (and not like GYOW where it's almost expected-but as one of the "filler" songs) right on the heels of his departure? Almost like saying "see, the new guys can fill your shoes-and we're gonna have 'em sing stuff YOU wrote before you even joined Fleetwood Mac!"
I think that "Don't Let Me Down Again" was a GREAT song for Billy to do...it fits his "rockabilly" style like a glove. I don't think it was an "insult" at all. It had already been incorporated into the Fleetwood Mac repetoire anyway.

For a new member of Fleetwood Mac to sing/play a song by their predecessor (however "immediate") isn't an "insult", it's REQUIRED. Every successor to Peter Green has had to sing his songs, Lindsey, included...also, Lindsey had to sing a Bob Welch & Danny Kirwan tune or two, as well. Were they "insults" to Peter, Danny or Bob? Again, I don't think so. Even Christine McVie sang "Jumping At Shadows" all the way up to late 1975.

Bob Welch even covered "Shake Your Moneymaker" (the FMac cover, sung by Jeremy Spencer, of an old Elmore James tune) as an encore tune during his French Kiss tour.

Quote:
originally posted by ricohv
...and more of a tip of the hat to the new guys, to have one of the "virtually unknown to the mainstream concert-goer" songs be a song from Rick or Billy's back catalog.
Yep. I'll agree there. And, again, I say Fleetwood Mac mis-utilized both Billy & Rick's talents their entire tenure in the band. Although, during the 1994/95 tour, Billy's "The Bigger The Love" (which Billy recorded twice on two different solo albums and that John McVie recorded for his "Gotta Band" album) was featured in Fleetwood Mac's set.

Billy Burnette songs that Fleetwood Mac should've incorporated into their set:

Try Me
It Ain't Over
(which Christine sings backgrounds on)
Honey Hush (a cover of one of his dad or uncle's...Fleetwood Mac had previously recorded it for Kiln House, titled as "Hi Ho Silver")
Don't Say No
Brother To Brother
(Rick Vito plays guitar on Billy's solo version)
I'm Not Me (Billy recorded it on a solo album AND was the title cut for Mick's Zoo's album)
Angel Come Home (the Beach Boys tune that Billy sang on Mick's Zoo's album)