View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Ken is just extremely frustrated with the management surrounding the group. On the one hand, I don't blame him, but on the other, he himself has been in the business so long, he ought to be used to it. He also probably had buffers around him during the Rumours years.
Honestly, it sounds like he's less upset that there are buffers around the group and more upset that he's no longer one of the ones within the buffers. I'm sure it hurts - he used to be a part of their inner circle, he was there for some intimate stuff, he went through what most would probably consider a life-changing experience with them. And I definitely don't disagree that all their inner circle / outer circle, "never break the chain," "the band is the only thing that matters" bull**** is childish - and allows them to both manipulate the people close to them into being incredibly loyal while they're on the inside, and then abandon those people without feeling guilt as soon as they don't need them for the band anymore. This band is a bunch of babies drunk on their own diminishing power, it's cool, I can believe that.

But expecting people you knew 30 years ago to still be as close as you felt they were 30 years ago? Naw, dude. And expecting people who employed you 30 years ago to still take care of you financially? Double naw. You were perfectly happy with the situation back when you were part of their entourage, you just don't like it now because you're not a part of it anymore. And you're not some friend from back home that they abandoned when they hit the big time, you weren't a kid when it happened, you were a grown man and you're a part of the music business - you had the opportunity to get yours. (Also, that thing about Richard Dashut working for three years without a check is just weird to me. Why would he keep working for him? As someone who works freelance in a creative field...it doesn't matter how good a friend you think someone is, you don't get a paycheck from them, you don't work for them anymore. You learn that quick, so if Richard really worked for Lindsey for no money, that's crappy on Lindsey's part but that's ultimately Richard's fault.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise5 View Post
Agreed. Employments end, friendships don't always last forever.
I certainly don't keep in touch with all my friends from 30-35 years ago. People's lives go in different directions. As far as former employers, why would I expect anything from them? I think it's up to each person to build on their past employment to further their careers (as Ken, to his credit, seems to have done; he certainly has worked with a lot of artists!).
Also, how many of them have been to rehab? Isn't one of the big rules of staying sober that you don't go back to hanging out with the people you did drugs with? Who in their right mind would be like, "Welp, I'm finally off coke! I guess I'll go find my old friends and talk about all the times we did coke!"

ETA: Okay, just read the entire interview and I don't think it's as "scathing" as the original post made it sound...that thing where he says "I may sound wacko, but living through something like that and being a part of a thing, you feel like you’re family, and you’re not a family. Fleetwood Mac was not generous “parents.” They’re pretty selfish; so many people that were part of the family have since been discarded. It’s sad. But, there is no responsibility from the band even though we were so close." I think he basically gets that the way they felt back then wasn't reality, and he's just remarking on what a bummer it is that things have changed. (Richard working for Lindsey without a paycheck is still d-u-m dumb, though.)

Last edited by egg cream; 03-31-2012 at 10:49 AM..