View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Oh gosh, yes. He has made one of my favorite FM songs unendurable. I don't understand how he thinks this works in any way at all. Just because people feel obligated to applaud when you hold a note and look at them expectantly doesn't mean they're all bowled over. You can tell how they really feel when they try to sing along or clap along, then are forced to trail off as he slows down more and more... that's disappointment on their faces, not delight. (Note: I'm sure there are a few who like it, but I daresay it's not most.)

That song used to be a showcase for his talents as he effortlessly plucked that beautiful melody. Now it's... not

I love Big Love live but NGBA is a painful experience, to say the least.

I'll always applaud Lindsey, no matter what he does, but when you want to sing along and you can't, it's a letdown.

Quote:
I understand forgiving some of Lindsey's lesser material for his incredible playing. I firmly believe he is the most talented guitarist alive today, and he has elevated many songs that way. For me, though, "Family Man" isn't just lesser - it's the nadir.

To each her own, though!
I also love Brian May, whose style is quite the opposite.

I'll always love Family Man and its catchy lyrics.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.