View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I would guess the difference there would be that Stevie and Mike (and potentially the others) were a hell of a lot closer to Tom than either Bob or Danny.

Mick, John, and Chris had that falling out with Bob over royalties and were on pretty terrible terms for a long time. I think they resolved it okay before his death? I can't quite remember, but either way their relationship wasn't exactly warm at his passing. Of course he was also an acquaintance of Stevie's, evidenced by her performing with him at Cal Jam and the Roxy. However, we have no idea their relationship status in the years leading up to his death, especially with his sour relationship with the rest of the band.

As far as Danny goes... I would assume Stevie doesn't know him well at all and the rest of the band hasn't been in contact with him since he was fired on the Bare Trees tour, outside of occasional updates. He was homeless and off the grid for a number of years wasn't he?

EDIT: Though I am of the opinion that both Bob and Danny are just as deserving of the tribute and wish they would have been treated similarly.
At the end of these day, many of these situations can be equated with that of former co-workers. How many former co-workers from jobs that existed 20 years ago does anyone actually keep in touch with? I seriously doubt that most members of Fleetwood Mac have had very much to do with Bob Welch and Danny Kirwin in the 25 years prior their deaths. Did they make social phone calls and schedule lunch dates on a regular basis? I doubt it. For that matter, I really don't think current members of The Mac spend large amounts of time together when not on tour. When Lindsey WAS in the band, my impression was that he and Stevie spent very little time together when not onstage. I think Stevie and Mick are probably the closest.

During the 18 years that Christine McVie was ABSENT from the band, do you think that she and Stevie saw each other on even a semi-regular basis? What I imagine was that Stevie only saw her during the rare times when Fleetwood Mac played a show in London. I can't imagine them even speaking by phone on a regular basis during that 18 year hiatus.

Rolling Stone (1984)
-Indeed, a touch of sadness creeps into Christine’s voice when she discusses the transformation of Stevie Nicks’ personality over the years. “Ten years ago, she really had her feet on the ground, along with a tremendous sense of humor, which she still has. But she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which I’m not a part of. We don’t socialize much.”
-Christine McVie

In addition, I don't think Stevie was nearly as close to Tom Petty as one would think. Did she love him and idolize his musical legacy? Sure. Spending quality time cultivating an ongoing friendship is another story.