View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stand Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well SB would have been a completely different creature. You know that Prince wrote the music(although uncredited), right? So obviously, it wouldn't be the same song...not even close!
Prince wrote the Stand Back music? I had read he collaborated and I was going to say the he didn't he actually co-wrote it. However after a short research I found more details of his participation in this song (that's why I love The Ledge, it makes me learn new things every day). What I always knew was what Stevie said in the Timespace cd book:

I got married the day i wrote this song. We were driving to Santa barbara and a new song by Prince came on, so we pulled over somewhere and got the tape. It just gave me an incredible idea, so I spent many hours that night writing a song about some kind of a criz argument, and it was to becamo one of th most important of my songs.

Funny to find she said she got married in a cd book, while she said she "never got married, because there wasn't time" in the Making of Rumours 1997 VH1 DVD.

So then I found today this MTV interview, where she describes more the Prince participation (again she mentions the marriage, one of her typical contradictions):

"I'm driving to my honeymoon night in Santa Barbara from L.A., and 'Little Red Corvette' comes on," she recalled. "We're like oh my God, it's Prince! So I start singing all these words, and I'm like, 'Pull over, we have to get a cassette player! And we have to record this!' I'm writing in the car — here we are, newlyweds, and we get to our hotel and we're setting up the tape recorder and I've made up my whole new melody to [the song]. So I haven't really ripped off the song, because I'm admitting that I have done this. So we go into a studio in Los Angeles a couple weeks later and I track down Prince's phone number — and because I'm Stevie Nicks, I can get it.

"I call him, and I never thought he was going to answer, or that it would be him, or that I would ever find him — and he answers. I said, 'Prince, this is Stevie Nicks, and I wrote a song to your song 'Little Red Corvette,' and we're at Sunset Sound right now, and I was wondering — first of all, I wanted to tell you that I'm giving you 50 percent of [the royalties] it if it ever goes anywhere, but are you in town? If you are, how would you feel about coming down and playing on it?' Never in a million years did I think this man would be like, 'I'll be right there.' He was there in 20 minutes and he played [she mimes instrumental parts of the song] on 'Stand Back,' and he was there an hour and a half, and then he left."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/160...h-prince.jhtml

PS: Is he still receiving the royalties of all Stand Back versions??