View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
(Sorry, OCD kicking in...it's WELCH. )

At CalJam2, yeah, that was Todd...he looked about 14 then!

Well, Rick Vito's resume pretty much got him in Fleetwood Mac. He also is an alum of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers & was in the band around the time that John McVie had sat in with Mayall at a few gigs during Fleetwood Mac's down times (late '70s); and remember that even John McVie returned to the Bluesbreakers himself for a spell before the Mirage sessions started up. Another "family tree" link for Rick was that he was in Jackson Browne's band when Russ Kunkel was the drummer...Russ, of course, worked a lot with Stevie early in her solo career...plus, later one both Rick & Russ were reunited in Stevie's Street Angel tour band. Rick had always been just a degree or two outside the Fleetwood Mac circle prior to his joining...he was in Thunderbyrd with Roger McGuinn in '77 when they had recorded Tom Petty's "American Girl"...McGuinn was always a big influence on Tom, & from hearing a live recording of Thunderbyrd in concert, Rick just tore it up. So, Tom may have put the bug in somebody's ear regarding the guitar virtuosity of Rick Vito back that early, as well.

At the time Billy was asked to join, Billy & Rick were working on an album together, as well as doing a session or two for Roy Orbison (which were used on his Mystery Girl album). So, it was just "timing" that got Rick in the band, but he was well worthy of getting the job.
Thanks for the info. I am attaching the video we are talking about in case some have not seen it. I cant believe that is Todd Sharp. You are right he looks like he is 14. I love how he smiles when Stevie sort of pushes him away from his own microphone to sing back up.

Cal Jam 2. Very young Todd Sharp and Stevie Nicks backing Bob Welch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z99...99SDSmapI#t=25