View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember reading the Vox article when it came out - and in the context of Stevies existence during this years it made perfect sense, I have never doubted that she indeed had 4 abortions. At the height of her fame/the FM madness she had no stable day/night rhythm and probably forgot to take her pill on every third day - the drugs didn't help and birth control was certainly nothing male musicians could be bothered with before AIDS - and that were the types she had in her bed. I found her reasoning VERY lame, but when I thought about it - which female rockstar had a baby in the 70s or early 80s? I don't know about the pressures of fronting FM and having a solo career. Neither Linda Ronstadt, Ann Wilson or Christine went through a pregnancy, the former adoped, the latter had a sterilisation. Maybe it was that difficult. Grace Slick had her daughter in the early 70s, Olivia Newton-John and Pat Benatar had their daughters at an age when the Klonopin and the sideeffects were basically keeping Stevie from everything, let alone having a stable relationship or the possibility of a healthy pregnancy.

What really made me angry was the fact that she lamented about wanting a baby after 4 abortions. That was so stupid and thoughtless.

Later when this years became "the Klonopin years" her whining suddenly made sense and I felt very sorry for her, sitting there alone in the empty house, her only companion a journalist who published whatever she said in her numb state - her under the ll-considered impression that she deserved some respect, the journalist under the impression that there was a "has been" wreck to plunder.

Nowadays, I only feel sorry for the Stevie of those years, the sad custodian of the girl she was before, indeed the pale shadow of a woman. If that makes any sense