Thread: Behind The Mask
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My guess is that, if he thought the TIME project had any potential, it was owing to the fact that Dashut was involved (along with the three Brits, of course).

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...4429/mac_daddy

Quote:
\\You contributed some backing vocals to the last Mac record, "Time." After you left, how many of the band's new records did you listen to?

\\Well, "Behind the Mask," which still had Stevie and Christine, I certainly listened to maybe once, but I didn't put too much into it because the music was already becoming more generic. When I heard that Dave Mason was joining, my initial reaction was, "Oh, that could be good." But apparently, it wasn't. [laughs] Then when I heard that they were doing this nostalgia package tour with REO Speedwagon and Pat Benatar, I was like, "What happened?"
---------------------------------------

Quote:
Find the exact quote & let's examine that putative admiration again. Let's try to put it into some sort of believable context (for example, Lindsey liked a very old Mason album that predated TIME by about 20 years).
http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart110.html

Quote:
Who was your main lead guitar influence?

I can't say it was one person. I used to love Led Zeppelin, but I never sat around trying to learn Jimmy Page licks. In terms of developing a sense of melody, I was helped along by Dave Mason's Alone Together -a wonderful album with a very pretty kind of lead-guitar style. But I never thought of myself as someone who was going to go out there and burn it up. In fact, the lead stuff came very late for me.
---------------------------------------

Quote:
Did I miss something, or are you conjecturing?
http://www.nicksfix.com/sfchronicle1.htm

Quote:
Q: Did you follow the subsequent permutations of the Fleetwood Mac lineups that Mick Fleetwood led after you left the band ?

A: From a distance. When I left the band and they got Billy Burnette and Rick Vito, that was fine because Stevie was still there and there was a semblance of it being that thing, even though it was a little more generic.

I think by the time it got down to being no Stevie and Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason, which actually didn't sound too bad on paper but I guess didn't play out too well, a lot of people were not too happy with that because it really did bastardize the good name, if you want to look at it in that way.

Maybe in Mick's defence, all the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green days, many of which were nonsequiturs from incarnation to incarnation, led him to the point where he ran into us. That same process of constantly reaching out to people more than to a concept is what got him to us in the first place. I think to some degree he was able to feel he was just doing the same thing he'd always done. But it's a little more tricky after the fact.

THE Stephen Hopkins