View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default it was not just the drugs

If you think greed and shallowness were invented in the 2000's you were sleeping through the past.
During the horific social unrest in the US and in many parts of the world idealism dies a savage prolonged and painful death. The sensitive among us feel it more and that was where I was going with this thread
I too was a teenager for most of the 60's In the US many people were filled with hope for a new age of enlightenment only to be beat over the head time and time again by the realities of our political life. Agents for social uplift and change killed like clockwork to insure the status quo. The psychedelic drug people were looking for answers to free ones mind. It did not become an escape from reality until the idealism was crushed. The death of the hippie was during the "Summer Of Love in 1967. It was all downhill from there. But like anything things happen in a general bell curve. If you listen to Jeremy Spencer alludes to that in his interview in "Man Of The World" They were all looking for answers. I Think however John McVie and Mick Fleetwood were not active searchers in this persuit and it shows in their perceptions. Peter Green left the band and actually attended college for a time (Goddard College in Vermont) His illness while possibly present during his whole life did not actually debilitate him untill the seventies. While you are correct that there were many musicians and people who just drowned themselves in their drug of choice for pleasure or relief of pain. Illness is separate and the world around us shapes many of our decisions. This world can kill you if you don't die first.

doodyhead, melandvinnie