View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
There are two types of tribute bands. One tries to imitate the original, trying to replicate their look on stage. The performers wear clothes reminiscent of what the original wears and imitate what they do on stage. This is a difficult type of tribute to pull off, because the performers have to act and have a certain "look." From the clips I don't think Wildheart succeeds at this. (They split Christine into two people, as if she was the victim of a transporter malfunction.)

The second type of tribute band is really a cover band. They perform the songs of the original but don't make any attempt to act out their stage act. This is easier to do because it doesn't matter if they don't look or act like the original performers.

For a group like Fleetwood Mac, where stage personalities are such a big part of the experience, it seems that an imitation band has a very difficult task. I think I'd rather hear a cover band who played their songs without making an effort to make the audience think it was watching the real band.
I agree. What "Wildheart" seems to be doing makes me cringe a bit. (Especially at 1:56 of that video)

I saw a "cover band" in Orlando at Hard Rock and they played every song off Rumours... without trying to look like the band. They didn't try to replicate the record perfectly, just their own interpretations of it. It was quite entertaining.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 08-23-2009 at 07:52 PM..