View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP View Post
Yes, I agree with that. It was like his songs on Tusk were his solo songs with no other input from any other member. I remember that was the first thing I noticed when I first listened to the Tusk album. Then, of course, on CMV and SN songs he's singing background, sharing vocals etc. That's fine because I love the Tusk album. But it's apparent on Tusk he was already in the "solo" state of mind.
I always have had the feeling that he was already going in a quite more modern, experimental and fresh and new direction, by the time it was time to make Tusk. He was already listening to The Clash, Talking Heads, Punk, Two-Tone, all the great musical stuff that was happening starting in the late seventies in England and Germany (and maybe in the US too, I cannot speak from experience there, not yet living here then). And it influenced his writing and orchestration I am certain. I also think the rest of the band was not ready to, or into, venturing outside their borders. So it may well be that that caused the huge disconnect, and maybe the others had no idea what to add to those songs. It's interesting that Lindsey did still sing background on theirs, ( and of course he played guitar ) but I sometimes wonder if he did it also to enhance cohesiveness between his songs and theirs.
In any event, Tusk is one of my favorite albums of all time, by any artist, dichotomy or no. It's fresh sounding and not at all dated to this day. IMHO.