View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I have always maintained this position. THAT'S why he'd rather not have her around. She's the only one with enough balls to stand up to him. Everyone else backs down from him, except Chris.
I don't think Christine stands up to him, unless the group is arguing. In that case, she might tell him or anyone else to "shut up". Other than that, I don't think there's a lot to stand up to him against. There's no evidence that he did anything that anyone disagreed with, except for Tusk and she certainly didn't stand up to him on that one. I don't think she liked it then or likes it now, but she didn't stop it.

Stevie says that Christine'll tell Lindsey she didn't like his Tusk songs and won't play them on stage, but she sure didn't stop them from being recorded and never stopped him from doing what he wanted to on stage. But I don't think anyone had the sense they were doing anything against their will. I think they thought that Lindsey had good judgment. When Mick said they were all his marionettes or Christine said they formed a bed on which he could roll around and do whatever he wanted, I don't think it's because any of them are intimidated by Lindsey. I think it's because they felt that:

1. His ideas are good ones.
2. He works obsessively and will execute those ideas, to the benefit of FM as a whole.

I think they feel that he turned to out to be right with Rumours and so they trusted his vision ever since. Maybe things that they thought sounded just fine the first take, improved because he insisted they do 20 more takes. They didn't want to at the time, but it ended up paying off so big that after that they didn't argue. If Rumours had never been a hit, he never would have gotten so much power in the band.

They did that interview together and Christine said she should not dare say it with Lindsey sitting right next to her, but no one can make her songs sound the way he does. I think she believed that and that's why he got his way in the band. Stevie doesn't believe that about Lindsey anymore, but in the seventies and eighties, they all did.

Michele