View Single Post
Old 11-12-2023, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I agree it's a big improvement over Rock A Little. But then I think Rock A Little sucks.

'Rooms On Fire" is a great song (first Stevie song I eveer heard; always loved it). "Whole Lotta Trouble" is strong too. But TBH the whole rationale for her solo career ("I write too many songs") was no longer operative after Wild Heart. You can't say you write so much you need a solo career to accomodate your output while at the same time asking people for songs.

I take Klonopin and some days have to take a lot of it. At a certain dosage it kills alertness to the point where you can't do anything productive, and it takes a lot of caffeine to counterbalance its effects.
Thank you, Macfan4life, for summarizing the interview. I just don’t have the interest to listen to her interviews, but I enjoy learning new to things about songs or albums, so your summation is helpful!

I agree that half of TOSOTM is great- fantastic, even; but the other half is bland or forgettable. That’s why I like RAL more- there are plenty of songs I skip on TOSOTM, but not on RAL, because even the weirder songs, like Sister Honey or the Nightmare, are listenable. Juliet and Whole Lotta Trouble not so much.

Rooms on Fire is a really good, strong song. I think it was underrated when it first came out. It’s a song that I think only Stevie could really do justice to. I’m stunned she said she liked what Rupert Hine did with Doing the Best I Can for two reasons; some of it is incredibly over the top, such as the piano right before the words “I was silent, I was locked away.” Second, if she liked the song so much, why didn’t she ever perform it live?” It amazes me that for her tour, she chose to perform Whole Lotta Trouble, Juliet, and Alice, but not Long Way to Go, Ooh My Love, or Doing the Best I Can. Even for her current tour, she should have chosen Doing the Best over I Sing For the Things. Maybe Doing the Best still hits to close to home for her, even now.

Cben, I wanted to add that while Stevie’s initial claim that she needed a solo career in order to release more material might have been more legit early on, remember that after Mirage, no one in FM was really clamoring for a reunion, so at that point, I could still understand her desire to continue her solo career.