View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Is Mike really that much of a bigger name than Waddy? Waddy was lead guitarist for Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, and Warren Zevon.

If you are right (and you may well be), then I think they probably don't fire Lindsey without first making sure Mike Campbell is available and on board. Mike is sort of playing it off like he didn't know anything about the opening until Mick called him in March, but I suspect there may have been a call (or some form of communication) in the fall to feel him out and see whether he'd join if asked.

Jeff Beck is interesting. I wonder whether he would have committed beyond a single tour, if at all. The only other big names I can think of are Stephen Stills (CSN broke up at the end of 2015), Roger McGuinn, and Marty Stuart; but they are all on tour through November or December so probably none would have worked out.

Yes, he is. Not just as a player, but as a songwriter. He cowrote so many of the Heartbreakers hits (Running Down a Dream, Refugee, Jammin Me, Here Comes My Girl, and on and on and on)as well as Don Henley hits (Boys of Summer, The Heart of the Matter) and of course Stevie hits (Stop Draggin').

Plus none of these other guys are people that Stevie would have the same relationship with and history of writing with. As she's now running the band, chemistry with Stevie is crucial, and more important, a guitarist who is comfortable being second banana, a role Mike was very familiar and comfortable with.