View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Default Re: Re: My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally posted by David
For this tour, they're not thirtysomething anymore. Plus they cram their stage full of musicians. That's a major point. Four musicians (1980) can improvise & stretch a hell of a lot easier than nine or ten or whatever it is now. The more people you've got playing something, the more holes are being filled in, & the less likely any individual instrumentalist is to ad lib a jam & hope the others follow his lead.
That's true. The age thing not necessarily though. Bob Dylan has been reported to be in a very energetic mood throughout his current tour. It tends to depend on what is the motivation of the musician. Does he/she want to interact with the others, is there inspiration to try certain bits in a different way etc. If "getting some bread on the table" is the main reason for a musician to be on stage, then the whole thing becomes questionable, at least for me.

I agree completely about the backing musicians. The only way for the band to gain some inspiration back is to get rid of most of them. According to people who went there, Lindsey appeared very relaxed and loose on Soundstage with only three musicians behind him. I'm hoping that they start to do stuff like this more, although it certainly won't bring much dough to their pockets.