View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I've always found curious and overblown Lindsey's contention that Fleetwood Mac prohibited experimentation after Tusk.

With those backing vocals, doesn't "Eyes Of The World" sound plenty experimental? Same goes for "Gypsy" (albeit to a somewhat lesser extent).

"Straight Back" and "Book Of Love" sound experimental too.

I don't think Mirage sounds like Rumours at all.
While I personally wouldn't describe Gypsy or really any of those tracks as sounding particularly experimental to my ears, I completely agree that Mirage has very different sonics to Rumours.

I also agree that he harps on about the Rumours > Tusk > Mirage thing quite a bit.

But even if you assume that individual tracks like "Gypsy", "That's Alright", "Hold Me" and "EOTW" are tracks that basically fit the bill as Rumours-esque, I don't think the album as a whole works as well as the preceding three studio releases did. Each of the Rumours songs is so "on point" and tells a clear narrative; with Mirage, I don't get any narrative clarity or cohesion other than "We are a band of solo artists can afford to rent a castle in France for a few months and record some random left-over tracks."

The 1975 album is also a bit of a hodgepodge, being their first effort recording together. Perhaps the better analogy would be to compare Mirage with the 1975 album.