View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It is good and I smell what you are cooking. The guitar and beat midway does sound like Todd Rungren. You have very perceptive ears because few could have found that adjective to describe it.

The studio version is drowning in overdubs. I am ok with that because this was the Mac's extreme overdub album and they were all at peak vocal performance. When I first got Mirage, this song was my least favorite. Something about songs where the vocalist starts right away before or with the music turns me off. I never gave the song a fair chance. Over the years I re-discovered it and its such a hypnotic, bouncy, dreamy lovey, dovey, lullaby. I love Lindsey's guitar and Mick's drumming. I love they let them jam in the end but it ends too soon. This song gets beaten up on this board as always someone's least favorite songs. They need to listen again and rediscover it because its one of their best. On another note, the title is very literal. Yes, Chris was out of her mind in her love of Dennis Wilson. That guy was so freaking crazy let alone his drug and alcohol problem. He was roommates with Charles Manson a few years before the murders and was somewhat allegedly involved in that cult. I agree Chris, you were out of your mind.
By all accounts, Dennis felt guilty and was horrified by his casual affiliation with Manson. Like Dennis, many who saw themselves on the edges of Hollywood found Manson charismatic, compelling. For me, operating from the benefit of an historical perspective, Manson has always been beyond redemption, a figure more palpable and yet somehow enigmatic than, say, Hitler, whose unreal reality exists for me forever separated by an ocean and the gulf of decades.

But at the time, for Dennis and any number of naïve, disaffected drop outs, Manson represented a different way of knowing and being. What a nightmare! To wake from a charm spell and see an abyss.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-05-2022 at 11:00 PM..