Thread: Nicks McNuggets
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is for you: Butter Cookie(Georgie)

Number 3 on my list is Debbie Harry.

Another to emerge through CBGBs, Harry can rightly be called a punk icon. With a string of successes, her band Blondie became one of the most successful chart acts, crossing from punk/ new wave into the mainstream.

Harry’s voice is both distinctive and versatile. She has the power necessary for tracks like “Picture This”, but also a sultry quality that exudes raw sexuality. The early single “(I’m Always Touched by Your) Presence, Dear”, is one of my favourite female vocal performances.

Number 2 for me is Stevie Nicks.

As well as being an integral part of Fleetwood Mac’s most successful period as both singer and songwriter, Nicks is also a highly successful solo artist. Think of songs like “Rhiannon”, “Gold Dust Woman” and “Dreams” or solo successes like “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”.

Her stage presence, based on a trademark look of costumes featuring flowing skirts, shawls and platform boots, is considerable. And Nicks might just have the sexiest voice in all of rock music, earthy and smoky with a low pitch. There is a vulnerability in her songs of love and loss, many written of her relationship with Lindsey Buckingham, but there is also resilience and strength in her delivery.

Stevie Nicks continues to excite and thrill in equal measures, and her voice is as strong as ever. Just listen to the live version of “Landslide” above.

http://gordonjohnston.wordpress.com/...ale-vocalists/