Thread: Is this fair?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The melody and chords from the demo to Dreams remain in tact. But that’s it. Clocking in at well over the four minute mark, the song would have been tedious if a creative arrangement had not bolstered it. Christine has spoken openly about how much Lindsey was able to extract from the same three chords. His hand on the production is so strong here that if he had done it in 2017 he’d have wanted co-composition credit, which, for the record, I think is wrong but still in line with the point many are making about his vision enabling even the barest of demos to be transformed into something fully realized and orchestrated.

A good contrast with this is “Edge of Seventeen,” a great, driving song in need of a more imaginative arrangement that will sustain its many repetitions and length. Lindsey could have done wonders with that.
Waddy doesn't arrange?
There is no doubt that Lindsey turned Dreams from okay to great. Three chords: F, G, Am7. That was it. Played simply on my keyboard at home, it is a proper dud. On Rumours it is a gem. Started to lose its shine live around 1983. Now it's a piece of hard plastic crap. She was right to ditch it from the 24KG tour and I was disappointed after seeing her in Sacramento that she had brought Dreams back in when I saw her in Sydney. And had the hide to act like bringing it back was doing us a favour.
I feel some empathy for Stevie I must admit. I also write songs and I am the same as her, I write chords and basic melodies. I rely on my producers to arrange them. I am always very appreciative when they come up with better arrangements. I don't know that Stevie is.