View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyNfAI3axM
Stevie repeats “the storyline” at the 5 minute mark. Most recently, she said in October at The Garden that Lindsey wouldn’t have joined the band without her joining too. Mick told Alex Baldwin that Stevie is always mad at him whenever she says to him “you only wanted Lindsey.”
They never offered the job to just Lindsey! As pointed out countless times, anything they’ve said since 1997 has been a embellished. And, AGAIN, here’s what the two guys who actually had the phone call said about it:

Quote:
“I told him I wanted Lindsey Buckingham to be the new guitarist in Fleetwood Mac, and what did he think? Olsen replied that Lindsey was part of a team, the other half of which was his girlfriend, Stevie Nicks. They had a band called Buckingham Nicks and were very much a pair. Keith said he didn't think Lindsey would be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac without Stevie. Without hesitating, I told him that I wanted them both. Then I called Mickey Shapiro and said, ”I met these guys and am asking them to be in the band." -Mick Fleetwood, 1990
Quote:
“I had signed on to co-produce with Fleetwood Mac and engineer their album after Bare Trees [sic]. How I made the deal to do it was I played [Mick Fleetwood] three tracks of the finished Buckingham-Nicks record, one off an Emitt Rhodes record, and one thing from Aretha Franklin. He said, “Wow, this is really great.” So we made a deal to do it. Then I got a call on New Year’s Eve, and Mick says, “I’ve had some bad news. Bob Welch just decided to leave the band. So, that fellow in that band you played me—would you see if that guy would like to join my band?” And I said, “Well, they’re going to come as a set. Because they’re very much into their own thing, and the only chance of getting them to drop that would be to bring them both on.” And he says, ”Well, maybe that will work. Can you see if you can convince them to join my band?”

So I drop what I was going to do on that New Year’s Eve, take my date, and we drive over to Stevie and Lindsey’s house. I said, “Hey, Happy New Year” and all of this—I brought over the obligatory bottle of bad champagne—and I said, “Can we talk? Mick Fleetwood would like you to join Fleetwood Mac.” Immediately, Lindsey said, “Oh, no, no—I couldn’t possibly play anything as good as Peter Green did. How am I supposed to get up there and play ‘The Green Manalishi’?” Finally I get them, by the end of the night, to try it on a trial basis for eight weeks.” -Keith Olsen, 2012 (https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/st...ds-keith-olsen)
So, two accounts from the two men who actually had the conversation told over twenty years apart and they’re identical. Furthermore, you’ll notice that the next phone call was to Mickey Shapiro to draw up contractual paperwork, not the McVies, so the whole idiotic “Christine had to like Stevie” storyline was crap, too.

We, specifically you and me, have had this discussion several times already, so you know the FACTS, and most of us old timers have mentioned numerous times that they started romanticizing and embellishing their story starting with The Dance, so I don’t get why you keep referencing something you know isn’t accurate by someone known to not be a reliable source of information?

THE Stephen Hopkins