View Single Post
Old 09-08-2002, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueGrass
What do you thinbk it is. I know many agree "Big Love" is amazing...but what do you think is second in line?

"Go Insane" (Live)
"Red Rover"
"Say Goodbye"
"Try For The Sun"
"Here Comes The Sun" LInds version

I'd go with "Try For The Sun"...it is incredibily fast paced...and multi-layered like "Big Love."
What do you mean by "multi-layered"...?

It's one guitar, only. The fact that he uses two amps, each one with clever delay settings, coupled with some damn good Travis picking, gives the effect of a "multi-layered" song.
If you mean "multi-layered" in the sense that the song has indepedent bass-rhythm-melody sections....well, that's the essence of Travis picking. All of those songs you've mentioned there are played using the same method.

IMO none of the songs on G.O.S. are totally "acoustic"...sure they're played with an acoustic guitar(s) but all the "acoustic" G.O.S. songs are multi-layered, and many of them have synthesizer, percussion, etc layers....so I personally wouldn't class them as "acoustic" in the way that "Big Love", "Go Insane", "Never Going Back Again", "Here Comes The Sun" are.

In answer to the original question...my fav. LB acoustic song is "Go Insane (Live '97)".

In terms of impressive guitar performace, "Big Love" is easily the most technically challenging/impressive song...it took me the good part of a year to get it perfect (and I don't even sing over it...!...yep...the guy is an absolute genius..!)

A distant second (again, "technically" speaking) would be "Never Going Back Again"....it's a simple sounding song but keeping that alternating bass line going in perfect time is quite tricky.

Last edited by seteca; 09-08-2002 at 04:28 PM..