View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default St. Louis review

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...ebc54bc23.html

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie go their own way in Fox concert
By Daniel Durchholz Special to the Post-Dispatch 1 hr ago (0)

It was only two-fifths of a full-on (Fleetwood) Mac attack, but Saturday night’s concert at the Fox Theatre proved it was a fine idea for Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie to go their own way.

The partnership was born a few years ago, Buckingham explained, when McVie returned to the Mac after a 15-year hiatus — “Are you rested?” he needled her — and started writing songs without knowing where the process would lead.

McVie sent the material from her home in England to Buckingham in California so he could work his producer’s magic on them and add his own songs. With the band being off-cycle, what eventually emerged was the duo’s recent self-titled album.

“One thing led to another, and here we are,” he said.

Saturday’s concert featured eight of the album’s 10 songs, but also leaned heavily on crowd-pleasing Fleetwood Mac classics and Buckingham solo numbers.

The pair — Buckingham still rail-thin and McVie eternally radiant — eased into the evening with just the two of them onstage playing acoustic versions of Buckingham’s “Trouble” and “Shut Us Down” plus the Mac’s “Wish You Were Here” and a take on “Never Going Back Again” that started gently and became increasingly manic.

iParty: Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie at Fox Theatre
Fleetwood Mac members Linsey Buckinham and Christine McVie performed at the Fox Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017. Photos by Jon Gitchoff

The focus shifted to songs from the new album, which, though they don’t particularly rival the pair’s best work with the Mac, came alive in concert as Buckingham and McVie shared lead vocals and enjoyed solid support from their four-piece band. “In My World,” with its swirling chorus, and “Too Far Gone,” sporting a fierce groove that recalled the Mac’s “World Turning,” were especially fine.

Though it (obviously) lacked the considerable presence of Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, the real treat of the concert was being able to hear indelible band classics such as “Hold Me,” “You Make Loving Fun” and an unhinged take on “Tusk” within the friendly confines of the Fox rather than a venue of the size required to host the Mac.

Buckingham unspooled a long, incendiary guitar solo on “I’m So Afraid” before the pair ended the set proper with a spirited “Go Your Own Way.”

The encore opened with the Mac’s “Everywhere” but then shifted back to the new material with “Lay Down for Free” and McVie’s ballad,” Game of Pretend” — a somewhat questionable choice. A few in the crowd called for her luminous “Songbird,” perhaps a more fitting denouement, but to no avail.

California quartet Wilderado opened the show with a satisfying set of atmospheric, harmony-laden rock that put them somewhere between the camps of, say, Fleet Foxes and Band of Horses. New songs from a forthcoming album and older numbers including “The Ocean and the Sea” and “Morning Light” earned an enthusiastic response from a crowd that gave the band a more than fair hearing.

“This is the quietest audience,” guitarist/vocalist Max Helmerich marveled. “Man, you guys are respectful!”

Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie set list:
“Trouble”

“Wish You Were Here”

“Never Going Back Again”

Pause
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Stream TypeLIVE
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%0:00
Fullscreen
00:00
Unmute
“Shut Us Down”

“Sleeping Around the Corner”

“Feel About You”

“In My World”

“Too Far Gone”

Go! Sneak Peek from St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Go! Magazine's go-to guide for the weekend's best entertainment in and around the Lou, delivered weekly to your inbox.

Email
I understand that registration constitutes agreement to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
“Hold Me”

“Little Lies”

“Tusk”

“Love Is Here to Stay”

“Red Sun”

“You Make Loving Fun”

“I’m So Afraid”

“Go Your Own Way”

Encore:
“Everywhere”

“Lay Down for Free”

“Game of Pretend”

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"