View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
It definitely depends on the venue and how strict their security policies are (or how big-headed any particular security guard is I swear, some of these people think they're high and mighty). Often, it is technically limited to the first three rows, and sometimes only of the center section if the seats are divided into three sections. Some places may have additional security checking tickets near the front to make sure you belong up there. Overall, it is definitely easier to get up front at outdoor venues due to the way they're typically set up (lots of space between the front row and stage). If possible, keep wandering around back and forth in front of the stage before the show starts, and then "oops!" be up there when the show starts and mix right in. Try finding an empty seat upfront and tell someone you're going to pretend to know them if security bugs you. Just tell them you'll head back to your seat soon after you finish talking to "this friend you haven't seen in years" and milk it as long as possible. The people you're faking it with might act like you're crazy, but who cares? You'll never see them again! See my Clark Co show notes for some tactics I've successfully used. Some places will let you head to the stage, say, 5 minutes before showtime, whereas others make you wait until the band comes out. Just be ready to move fast because as soon as they allow it, it's a crunch! I know some Ledgies have paid people with tickets in the front row to trade with them. If you have an aisle seat, you're luckier because it leaves opportunities to dart up front without causing as much of a commotion. Even if it's a little worse seat, maybe offer to trade with someone on an aisle, since you'll have bigger and better things ahead of you. Take the time to scope out possibilities before the show starts. See if the side or center aisles look better, or which security guard look easier to slip by. A quick dart may be your best bet, or slowly climbing rows of seats into any available empty chairs over the course of the first couple songs may work better. Usually, if you have the will to do whatever it takes, you'll make it somehow! You could try asking another audience member to distract a problem security guard with a question while you slip past. At my last TISL show in Seattle, I was determined to get upfront for EO17 for the first time. The security at that particular venue (Key Arena) is seriously assinine, but my boyfriend (who is large and possibly scary-looking to those who don't know him) feigned a rucus as I darted past the three security guards. They told him he would have to leave if he didn't go back to his seat, and he obviously obliged since he just wanted me to make it! One lady actually sprinted after me in an attempt to chase me down (get a life, people!), but I ducked down and mingled quickly by which point she gave up.

BEST OF LUCK!!!
Thanks for all the info! I am determined to get to the stage this time! Last time, it wasn't easy because I went with people and I didn't want to be rude and desert them. This time I am all by my lonesome and don't care if I make a fool of myself- I want to get to the stage! My only concern is that I am so much younger then anyone else (16) and a I might be a target to security guards!

We were frail...
Save us...