View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Take a listen to Blow By Blow and you'll see it is almost a more modern version of (I'm a) Road runner...

If you're trying to make a case FOR the merits of Time THAT comparison actually works against you.

The two Dave Mason songs just sound like...well, Dave Mason songs. Those could be on any of his albums (and, on second thought, maybe Split Coconut or Mariposa De Oro specifically).

For all the energy I've put into DEFENDING the Time album, I don't think I've ever really stated my criticisms of it (other than the running order). There's something blatantly missing (and I don't mean Buckingham or Nicks! ) Fleetwood Mac's legacy is one of having great lead guitarists...but, other than some run-0f-the-mill solos in a few of the songs, there's no real kick butt lead in any of them. They recruited Dave Mason, one of the all-time greats, but where IS he on the album? Except at the end "I Wonder Why", but what bugs me about THAT, is that Dashut & Fleetwood decided to mix Bekka's vamp OVER Dave's one & only real expressive lead guitar part on the album. Those "I wonder why-ee-ayes" that are mixed way too high bug the hell out of me.The solo on "Winds Of Change" starts out great, but then really goes nowhere. It just seems like the INTENSITY of the guitar work is really what's missing throughout the album. It's as though they sacrificed stellar guitar parts for the sake of the songs, when actually had they had more intensity in the guitars, the songs would've benefitted from it. The songs themselves are just fine, but the lack of "in your face" guitars overly softens the entire production of them.

The best lead guitar work on the entire album is on "These Strange Times" played by the one & only MICK FLEETWOOD!!!!! Now what does THAT tell you?? (Obviously, after all those years of rubbing shoulders with some of the greatest guitarists on the planet, something must've rubbed off...even if he IS "just a drummer".)

Ok, back to "sing the praises of Time mode.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-07-2009 at 10:33 AM..