Thread: The Gay Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

OK, update. I watched series 1 of the original Queer as Folk last night and, to my surprise, actually did love it. Guess I've finally grown into it. Good one, Russel T Davies.

Can we also talk about Angels in America? I've never seen it live, but the HBO miniseries is ****ing legendary to me. I watch it and am just in awe. That dialogue! There's just so much to sink my teeth into.

I don't think it's entirely fair to dismiss gay-male films as largely crap. It's a fairly niche genre, let's face it, so money and resources are going to be allocated elsewhere much of the time, and when they're not, it makes sense that filmmakers would opt for a lot of lowest-common-denominator stuff that they're sure will bring in more viewers. Try and be easy on them! They're up against a lot. But it's true, all the gems of gay cinema are solidly in indie-film territory where commercial interest was clearly not a priority.

Did anyone else like Weekend? I know it's supposed to be overrated as all hell, but, it just hit home with me. Loved it to bits.