View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
“Buckingham McVie” doesn’t seem quite the right way to go out for a titan such as Fleetwood Mac. Melodic as it is, that album is kind of inconsequential, breaks no new ground, and musically retreads 1980s high points. Its a genteel little album whose purpose seems to be dipping its dainty little feetsies in a hot tub of nostalgia.
You're probably right. More than anything else, "Buckingham McVie" serves as a reminder of one aspect of its participant's legacy--elegant, effervescent pop-songcraft. It is, in part, a tribute to MIRAGE and some portions of TANGO; it is also a testament to the collaborative powers of its two leads. But the overall effect of the album feels boutique-y, deliberately minor in scope and scale, as if through coy modesty two richly talented singer-songwriter-instrumentalists remind the world that they are as hooky and clever as kids 45 years younger. Stevie's refusal to participate and the remaining four's fear to call it Fleetwood Mac in her absence meant the pressure was off and they could simply play together. It's all very creative and fun, but a certain intensity is lacking.

I do think the album might also have felt more substantial had it not really been blending of two distinct projects: the first a collaboration between Lindsey, John, and Mick meant to entice Stevie to return to the studio for a suitable follow up to SAY YOU WILL; the second a near-as-Mac-as-you-can-get suite of Christine songs sans Stevie. Christine's absence on Lindsey five tracks is my only real beef with the project. That, and the "freedom in my mouth" line from the collection's otherwise best song.