View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie wrote it but didn't? Someone made her write lyrics in a style she had never used before and hasn't used since.

Now you tell me that I'm crazy
It's nothing that I didn't know

I think someone was standing over her (like a Don Henley svengali) and pushing that self-effacing kiss-off tone into her lyrics. That just is not her by herself, wrapped in her own prismatic world. That's not how she talks about herself and that's not how she talks about other people. I also doubt that "You got me rockin' and reelin' " came out of her little faerie brain, either.

The song is very rhythmic. The way the words nestle into the groove is un-Stevielike. I bet the music kind of came first (from her or whoever) and then someone worked with her to "fit" wry, self-effacing lyrics about a rough patch in love into the musical structure. Stevie didn't just sit down by herself and hatch this thing as is.

I also think that, whatever was happening to get the song on paper, it's very obviously a lyrical backseat - to the rhythm and the two-part harmony, which must have been worked out (much the way we hear it on the Rumours demo with Lindsey doing a scat vocal) with the two singers in a room together. The whole thing was built with the vocal harmony in mind, not just presented in finished state to a production person, with someone present suddenly having the bright idea to add a harmony.

moviekinks.blogspot.com