View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
The first time I saw Stevie live was in 1990. I was very disappointed in her performance. She looked and sounded like she was going to fall asleep, and she looked like hell. (We know why now, but at the time it was pretty off-putting, and I wasn't all that disappointed that she left.) So when Bekka joined, I felt she added new energy to the set. The only Stevie song that I ever saw her do was "Gold Dust Woman," and I guess my attitude is that if Hole can do the song, why not Bekka? Plus, I actually liked the new arrangement. It was SOOO refreshing, after the 87-90 versions. Actually, I would much rather she and Billy do a song like "Angel" or "I Don't Want To Know," but I would have been MORE offended if they didn't do ANY Stevie songs. It would be like she was never in the band.

Please don't ever compare Hole/Courtney Love to Bekka; they are just in totally different leagues. Personal issues aside, Courtney Love is/was an amazingly talented songwriter and musician who definitely does things on her own terms- definitely a maverick in a lot of ways. Accordingly I thought her cover of GDW was brilliant. Bekka's cover? Bleccch... But to Bekka's credit, I don't think her cover of GDW was any worse than the Corr's cover of "Dreams."