View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
he was a total sh&t to her for a long time in the past. then he was gone for a decade and then eventually when she hit bottom and her solo career was at its nadir they made up (in the 90s) and got the band back together again.

But it's been 20 years since then. And what is in the DR doc that is so bad?? He went out of his way to be nice to her. He tells her that her lyrics could be tighter? Guess what, that's a producer's JOB. Jimmy told her the same thing in the albums he did with her. She got too big for her britches and fired him for it eventually. No one tells ME what to do. The reason she loved working with Dave Stewart was because he never told her no. The result? Songs that are hideously too long and repetitive (Lady, anyone?) or just incoherent (Mabel Normand, anyone?) or lazy (I Don't Care, Cheaper Than Free). A producer is supposed to turn your demos into actual radio friendly songs.
She showed up one day with her assistant/pitbull to double team him and pounce on him for not signing a contract-- a contract that was inappropriate to what they were doing. Watch it again.

The point is, the events of Musicares were not enough to warrant her actions, especially given how much worse all the behavior was in the past.

Part of her problem is she has been surrounded by ass kissers for too long. "How dare they treat you this way?" has been drilled into her head. She's said people like Don Henley were her role models, and that Don taught her "how to be a rock star" -- demanding the presidential suite etc. Azoff encouraged and enabled more of that. Hell Petty even hired her and her entourage their own private jet to follow him around on tour.

Watch the old Rosebud films-- where she's backstage high as a kite goofing around with the road crew. She tells her label guy that she's hanging out with the crew because "they're soooo much better than the BAND" she says the word dripping with derision. She's a brat. She was even then. She just knows how to bs everyone with her public face.
I completely agree with you--I've watched and rematched DR multiple times, unless the "bad stuff" hit the cutting room floor, nothing in that looked remotely hostile.