View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
No offence taken.
The history seems quite simple. All these tracks are the same on any record (looking Back, The Original Mac, Crusade re-release) ; if any "re-recordings" took place they have never surfaced.

Green used his "birthday present" sessions (16/02/67) to record these tracks with John McVie and Aynsley Dunbar :

CURLY
RUBBER DUCK
GREENY
MISSING YOU

Then Dunbar quit, and Mick Fleetwood was in for at least a few weeks during spring 1967.
The new Bluesbreakers line-up (Mick, Peter, Mayall and McVie) recorded one session on April 19, 1967:

DOUBLE TROUBLE
IT HURTS ME TOO
FLEETWOOD MAC
FIRST TRAIN HOME
LOOKING FOR SOMEBODY
NO PLACE TO GO

The last 4 items are really the first Fleetwood Mac recordings, and the last 2 tracks appear on the first ("Dogs and Dustbin") album.
Now here is another question (I'll throw the spanner in the works again). Why was it a "birthday present" (and I've even heard Mayall say this) when Peter's birthday is in October. Double Trouble and It hurts me too were released if memory serves me right in June? Mick was in the band in April and out after six weeks.

So does this mean

a) Mayall's present in February which included Dunbar was a very late present
b) Mick/Mayall/etc have been lying about this for forty plus years (because it makes a very good romanticised story).
c) Could it have almost been Dunbar Mac?

Either way, whether we assume re-recordings were done or not (as they weren't released were they until the Crusade and Hard road re-issues which I don't have and now will have to get), neither session could possibly have been a birthday present.

Oh and another thought, he only had an hour in the studio as a birthday present but he managed to record at least four tracks. That is good going by any measure.

Last edited by chriskisn; 04-10-2011 at 05:52 AM..