View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Do you think Stan Webb was annoyed with Christine leaving (at the time)? I can appreciate he possibly looks back now with some bitterness about how their careers panned out, but how did he feel at the time? On the one hand I can imagine him being p****d off that the singer that brought the band some success wanted to leave. On the other hand I wonder whether he felt overshadowed by I'd Rather Go Blind's success and therefore not too displeased with her leaving. I tend to get the feeling he had a chip on his shoulder and may have had his nose put out of joint by Christine being a big draw. After all, I'm sure at the time he probably thought they were going to be a success with or without her.
hard to say, i think.

stan has never been much of a team player and always very keen on grabbing the spotlight for himself. and what he lacked in feeling and technique (and that was quite a lot) he always tried to hide behind (acoustic and visual) gimmicks. and as aleuzzi quite rightly remarked: as the real musical highlight of the band chris quickly increased the draw for the band. and with that it must have dawned on stan that he found himself in a difficult position.

so what were his real thoughts like? i bet one wouldn't get an honest comment from the man himself on asking. as an interviewee he can be a real pain in the ass, especially on topics from yesteryears. speaking of which . . . at a chicken shack (sorry . . . STAN WEBB'S chicken shack!) gig some 15 years ago i stood right in front of the stage wearing a blue horizon t-shirt. when he saw that, he immediately started ranting into the audience about the blue horizon guys being a bunch of assholes, having ripped him off and still owing him a whole lotta money. so he surely looks back in bitterness anyway . . . but that's definitely not our christine's fault!