View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM

SONG PREMIERE: BILLY BURNETTE PUTS ROCKABILLY SPIN ON FLEETWOOD MAC CLASSIC “OH WELL”

Having spent nearly a decade slinging the six-string for Fleetwood Mac and penning pivotal anthems for everyone from Ray Charles to Gregg Allman to George Strait, and calling the “Fathers of Rockabilly”- The Rock ‘N Roll Trio’s Dorsey and Johnny Burnette – “dad” and “uncle,” respectively, Billy Burnette has spent a lifetime living and breathing rock ‘n’ roll. All of this comes together on his upcoming solo album Crazy Like Me, which is due out on October 20 and is accompanied by his just-released memoir with the same title.

All of the songs on the album line up with the book, featuring Burnette putting his own rockabilly spin on songs originally written and recorded by his friends, family, and musical heroes alongside a handful of originals. Ultimately the album is a love letter to rock ‘n’ roll with the right amount of blues swagger and Americana perspective, and is a proper culmination of a life spent playing music.

“Rock ‘n’ roll is part of my DNA. I don’t do it, because I have to do it; I do it because I love this kind of music. I’ve never done anything but this. I’m very blessed to have done this all my life,” reflects Burnette.

Today Glide is excited to premiere Burnette’s inventive take on “Oh Well”, a song originally written by Peter Green and recorded by Fleetwood Mac during their early blues days in 1969. Compared to the original version, which is a scorching blues guitar shred fest complete with a cow bell, Burnette’s rendition carries a touch of rockabilly with its thumping standup bass and chickenpicked guitar. The intensity and all out fun of this new version expresses just how passionate Burnette is about the song.

In a recent interview with Glide’s Leslie Derrough, Burnett described his reasoning to include his version of the song:

“I’ve rockabillied it up a little bit. You know, it was the B-side of ‘As Long As You Follow’, which was one of our singles. We had done it on our Showtime special and they put that on the B-side of the record at the time. Why, I don’t know but it was good and ended up being really good for me. But that lick used to drive me nuts. I was in high school when I first heard that lick and then I became a huge Fleetwood Mac fan and it’s so weird that I got to join the band. Actually, Lindsey Buckingham got me in to do ‘Trouble’, when he had that song out [on Buckingham’s first solo album Law & Order], so I went to do that song with him in 1985 or 1986 or something like that. I instantly became like part of the gang. I used to call it the bubble. It was like they kind of had their own bubble in LA where they had their friends and hung out, and I just became one of them and I started writing with Christine McVie and I did a duet with Stevie Nicks at the time and just kind of fell into it.”

LISTEN: https://glidemagazine.com/194198/son...assic-oh-well/