View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
No, here is where you come out of your Rock a Little closet and tell the world (and me!) how much you loved to hear Stevie yodel her EO17 wails.

Go!
Where to begin? As you know, John, I don't think it was her most exciting solo tour, like you. It was crazier than the 1983 tour but not as thrilling. (Those of us in the audience in 1983 when the drum machine started for Stand Back surely remember the amazing sensation of seeing Stevie do a club/dance number in front of 20,000 for the first time in her history. THAT was excitement.) And she couldn't bellow as well in 1986 as she could in 1983 (September–October–November). But she still commanded that stage.

One of the things I liked best about this tour, in retrospect, is that she was still wearing all her old clothes—the tablecloths, the shawls, the boots, and top hat, and so on. She dressed essentially the way she did in 1983 and in 1980 before that. No bustiers yet, thank God. And no bunched-up satin with shoulder pads. (Someone once compared her in 1989 to a zaftig African American woman attending Sunday service in Biloxi.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com