View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
From A to E is a helluva drop. Did Lindsey continue to play the song in A & just rely on artificial means to drop the tuning, or did he actually play it in E?

That could be why they dropped it. He's been playing the song for thirty years in A, tries to learn it in E in order to accommodate older vocals (his & Stevie's), & just can't get it to hang in the new key. That happens a lot with people who learn a song all over in a different key. Fingering changes, hand position changes, attack changes, etc. And then you've got your memory problems -- halfway through the song in the new key, your fingers "remember" a lick from the old key & inadvertently insert it. It's a bitch.

Of course, pianists using electronic or digital boards don't have this problem owing to the magical little transpose button.
It sounded like they played it in the lower key throughout - though I am no expert on keys by any means. He looked positively pissed after it and many noticed it. To be fair, that night in Madison had previous guitar malfunctions that stopped the show twice - so maybe during the song, he realized his guitar or someone else's was out of tune. One of them sure sounded out of tune to me, but that could be the effect Tower referred to earlier. Having said all of that - it was way cool to hear it and I wish they would have kept it in the set.