View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I definitely agree with all of that. I became a fan in '93, saw the Time tour in '94, and it seemed to me like the Rumours 5 would never, ever regroup. When they did, it was as if a true modern day miracle had happened. I remember waiting for the album to drop, and getting posters from my local music store. For me, it was the most exciting time to be a Fleetwood Mac fan... nothing has come close since.

I did have a few critiques about the Dance, though. My biggest one was the "big band" sound: it was just too damned polished, too many musicians... there were so many backup singers it sounded like a damned choir! Fleetwood Mac's signature magic harmonies were lost amidst all the noise. That was the biggest disappointment to me about the Dance. I wanted to hear Fleetwood Mac... not Fleetwood Mac and 4,732 helpers!

And I definitely agree with what others have said about following up the Dance. They totally bumbled that one. They should have had an album out by 2000 to capitalize on their renewed respect and fame in the industry. It seemed like an eternity when Say You Will finally came out in '03... and then, it wasn't the statement they needed to make, either. To me, the album just reeked of battling egos: two different artists, no common thread; too many songs... seemed to be overcompensating for lack of solid material; insanely overproduced sound was pure narcissism: all that "noise" was trying to cover up their inadequacies.

I will agree somewhat with the last paragraph. They should've immediately released another record by 2000-2001 and showed everyone that the Mac was actually back. And as much as I like some of the material on SYW, Louie was kinda spot on about it. That album didn't make a statement, and I'm afraid it'll become one of their "lost" records.

I will say I love the sound of The Dance. I love everything about it.