Thread: The focus...
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it IS unfortunate, but what I find is that alot of my friends aren't as into the music as I am because it doesn't make any sense to them since they don't know the back story.

I have a few friends who will listen to it with me, but I find they usually say stuff like, "This is a dumb song. What does that mean, 'creature of the night it's been almost a week', or 'follow those who pale in your shadow'.....I just don't get it! And why is that guy (Lindsey) so angry most of the time?" Then, when I start to try and unravel it for them, they lose interest or say they don't want to have to spend so much time reading or learning background in order to enjoy the music. "Fine," I tell them, "If FM is too much effort for ya, then go put on some Cars, or AC/DC, or Journey, or Hall & Oates (gag!) or some hair band that doesn't make you think about anything."

I guess that is what separates us from most other people, because I LIKE the studying, analyzing, and comparing. That is what takes it to another level and elevates FM/SN/LB music above sweet little poppy tunes that grab most folks.

Something in THIS music does reach out and grab me and makes me want to know more, to examine the different meanings and layers that are there, just like good poetry, it is much more than what is on the surface.

In some ways they have become more of a story than a band at THIS point, but I am hoping that once the new album comes out, it will tip the scales back into balance between their body of work and their back story. I am concerned about how "sucessful" it will be in this current climate of cutsie, perfect hardbodies, though. It will have to really get alot of attention in order to steal a little of the spotlight, but I know what I like.

BUT the back story will always be there, and I have a feeling there will be more story to come. They have wrapped their music and their lives up together as one package, so you can't have one without the other.