Thread: Sandy Stewart
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Roy is brilliant and his playing on Enchanted, If Anyone Falls, and Beauty and the Beast is amazing. I hate to sound so critical because I am not a brilliant musician but her playing at least sounds very amateur. Even at age 13 and first hearing this song I was like "who is playing the piano?" I looked it up in the credits and was like.....oh its her friend, that explains it. I think a first year piano player could play those parts on Wild Heart. I can only imagine the life Roy could have pumped into those songs with his brilliant playing. Its the difference of a good song vs a great song. I think its a fair criticism but did expect to be flamed There is a reason that ALL the live versions of Nightbird are better than the studio version. No Sandy Stewart on piano or keyboards!!!!!!
I think Sandy should stick to writing or singing. I think "Maybe love will change your mind" is her best written song.
Roy's and Benmont's playing salvaged many of her songs. Benmont gave a recent interview where he said Jimmy asked him to go and work with Stevie before production began on BD. He told Benmont to sit with her and listen to her play her demos and then to figure out how to get them in better shape to play for the top-caliber musicians who were going to have to record them. Her demos are too sparse and two-finger plonking to give anybody any idea what to do with them. Even Christine has said she has no idea what Stevie's trying to do on a lot of her songs and relies on Lindsey to translate. (Even Tom talked about trying to figure out what to do with some of her songs and being at a loss and then Lindsey would take it and turn it into something and Tom would be like wow of course that's how it should be done). A lot of people have carried a lot of Stevie's weight throughout her career

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 06-02-2019 at 01:22 AM..