View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
What Tango In The Night songs include Stevie?

In addition to her three original songs, I hear her on "Little Lies" and on "Family Man" (Wikipedia doesn't credit her, but I hear her around the 2-1/2 minute mark).

Wikipedia credits her with singing on the extended remix (but not on the album mix) of "Big Love" and with synthesizer and singing on "Everywhere" (I don't hear her voice, and for the life of me can't see why they would have her play synthesizer on one of Christine's songs).

The tour DVD demonstrates she would ideally be on "Isn't It Midnight" singing a "face of a pretty girl" counter vocal, but I don't hear her on the album version of that song either.
My Summary of her contribution relating to Tango:

Album Cuts:
When I See You Again
Seven Wonders
Welcome to the Room... Sara
Little Lies
Family Man: She's the one going "am whadda am, am whadda am, etc" around the 2:30 mark, low in the mix with lots of distortion. You could make the case that it's Lindsey doing vocal tricks, but the same sample is played in the extended version around the 5:00 mark. Here it is slowed down, high in the mix, and clearly Stevie. She is also present on the chorus in this version.

I do not hear her on any of the other songs, including Everywhere. She may indeed be there, buried in the mix, but I cannot for the life of me hear her.

Alternate Versions:
1. Family Man: Much more prominent, see above. She also squeals a lot and talks about "mother father, sister," "I can't let go" on the Extended guitar mix around the 5:30 mix. Very RAL, i.e. erratic and drunk sounding. She is present on the chorus of this version as well.
2. Big Love: She is yelling "house up on the hill!" in the extended version, around 4:10. In the "House on the Hill Dub" mix, she is also yelling... something, "pretty girl" maybe? This starts around 1:10, and then concludes with "looking out for love" just afterwards. Somewhere in these tracks is also a vocal sample that has her yelling "Well it's a big, big love" These are likely the backing vocals she recorded for the album track that Lindsey stripped out before release. Understandable as they don't flow with the slick nature of the song.
3. Little Lies: She's more prominent. At the end she sings "Tell me lies, OH, sweet little lies, no no you can't disguise", "oohs" and repeats "sweet lies, little lies", also likely leftover vocals from her sessions that Lindsey chose not to use in the final.

So we at least have some evidence of her vocal sessions on other songs, they were used in the extended cuts instead. A user on this board (FannyMac) claims to have interned with Modern Records, Stevie's solo label, and heard an early cut of the album where her vocals were "All over it" before it was stripped to "just two songs", and then her third song was added back and her Little Lies backing vocal was reinserted.

Live:
Isn't It Midnight: The 1987-1988 and 1990 tours have her on the chorus, with an additional solo bit following the first chorus where she repeats "The face of a pretty girl" and a new closing vocal where she leads some "Welllllll Isn't it midnight"s with the others. This may be similar to how she recorded backing vocals for the album song before they were stripped, but there's no evidence of this because she is not present on any demo or alternate version.
Everywhere: The 1987-1988 and 1990 tours have her yelling "I WANNA BE WITH YOU" like an obnoxious chipmunk before she and Christine deliver the chorus. It's possible this was similar to the backing vocal she recorded for the album that she was so pissed about being removed. It's impossible to tell since it is not found on any demos or alternate versions of the song.
Big Love: She did backing vocals on the chorus for a 1998 live performance on Letterman with Lindsey.

As for Lindsey's vocal trickery, that is most promiently on display with Caroline. There's a version of the song which isolates the backing vocals (usually listed as a demo) which reveals that they belong to Lindsey with pitch increase. This pitch increase sounds a *bit* like it could be Stevie+Christine on the album, but alone it is clearly Lindsey.

I do not see any sign of her on Caroline, You and I, Ricky, Down Endless Street, Mystified, and Tango in the Night (in any version).

Songs she produced with her band that were considered for Tango but were not seriously demoed with the Mac:
What Has Rock and Roll Ever Done For You?- Mick Fleetwood's book
At the Fair- No evidence to corroborate this, but it is often found on Tango compilations.

Songs she demoed for Tango that were played by the Mac but were not used:
Joan of Arc- Not included on the expanded album because Stevie claims that she is "not done with it"
Ooh My Love: Later on OSOTM in a different arrangement
Juliet (completed instrumental in "Book of Miracles",s the "Seven Wonders" b-side). Later on OSOTM in a different arrangement.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)