View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Jimmy McCulloch was 16 when he joined Thunderclap Newman, and he had great guitar chops just like Danny. I find the two guitarists led similar paths, since Danny had a total mental breakdown. In Jimmy's case he later joined Paul McCartney's Wings, and died of a heroin overdose in 1979.
Interesting that you mention Jimmy McCulloch...I've always thought that Danny (post-FMac) would've been a perfect choice as Wings guitarist. Some of his songwriting on Midnight In San Juan has a very "Wings"-ish feel...even his reggae version of "Let It Be" sounds like a Wings track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
There was a rumor that Mick Jagger wanted Danny Kirwan to replace Brian Jones. I think if Danny was the Stones replacement guitarist instead of Mick Taylor, he too would've died over thirty years ago.
I don't recall ever reading that....at least not at that point when Brian was dumped. Although, I recall Danny's name being mentioned by Jagger a few years down the road, when searching for Mick Taylor's replacement (if you recall, Ron Wood wasn't their first choice...it took 'em quite a while to choose. They'd considered Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Wayne Perkins among quite a few others).

OOOPS...I missed this exchange when I was reading through the thread...sorry about that, guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
From the sleevenotes to Ram Jam City:

"As happenstance would have it, a couple of years after Danny Kirwan left Fleetwood Mac, Mick Taylor quit the Rolling Stones. By this time Kirwan happily was away from the limelight, and busily putting together material for his debut solo album, Second Chapter. One day his wife at the time, Clare, answered the phone at their Essex home. It was the Rolling Stones office. Could they speak to Danny.

As fate would have it, he was up in London for the day. Clare gave them another contact number but the guitarist wasn't there either.

They didn't ring again..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Well, well, well. Although to be fair, the Stones did audition many guitarists before deciding on Ron Wood, but being English he would've certainly been near the top of the list. Just depends on if he'd actually want to step back into the limelight to that extent??

Last edited by chiliD; 10-26-2009 at 05:54 PM..