View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In fairness, we're going to have to wait for a 24 or so song set to make more of an informed judgement, but my initial worry is about Mr Finn: as others have said, good at back-up vocals, but a little bland at other times. I haven't felt so sick since England lost to Germany in the 1990 World Cup semi-final on penalties when I heard them do SHN. No, Mick, don't make him do it again. Please. It's not good and it's not clever. I suppose they had to give him one song to at least introduce him and a Peter (or Bob or Danny, dream on) song was not going to work in a five song set on their first outing before a live audience. Those clones on Ellen don't count.

Now, Mike Campbell, not knowing much about him beforehand, is a different matter. I liked his gothic, doom-laden presence, his little guitar noodles that helped show that if he is going to appear in the Mac universe he can add a little personal stamp on their songs without being arrogant enough to clam an unwarranted ownership on them. Maybe I'm wrong, but he was the only good part of a tired and redundant Don't Stop.

We all know about Stevie and Chris's declining range. But, honestly, how good can we expect these seventy-something ladies to be? You pays your money... They are serviceable, but the voices' owners, Stevie especially, still have presence. If their larynxes hold out, the tour will be OK.

There are some signs of interest. If I really believed that this line-up will produce some new music I might even be cautiously optimistic. But yesterday's gone and there aren't really enough tomorrows left...