View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I think it's a mistake to equate Christine's dislike/hatred of touring (i.e. travelling) with some sort of dislike/fear of performing. I've seen her in concert a handful of times, and watched plenty of FM/Christine clips, and it always looks like she's enjoying performing. I honestly think it's the grind of all that travel that she abhorred.
I agree with applebucked here. There were several interviews circa 2004 in which she confessed to suffering from a form of stage fright. John mentioned in 2009 that she had let them know that she was uncomfortable 'on the boards' and 'under the lights'. She would presumably otherwise have joined them to do Don't Stop in London on the Say You Will tour when they broached the subject with her.

I think that if they wanted to they of course could do a short tour not travelling far, or they could take up the idea which Roger Waters had for the never-to-be Pink Floyd reunion in 2006 by having a couple of big shows in each of about five key cities around the world, spaced out and allowing time to settle at each venue for a while. However, I think they want the revenue from a big tour and they / their managers simply won't reduce the scale, probably for ego reasons as much as financial reasons. As much as LB often tries to do things for creative reasons, I get the impression that the Machine (i.e. the managers, the label(s) etc) will always say 'Go big, and go commercial'.