View Single Post
Old 08-10-2002, 04:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hendrix deserves the #1 slot, just out of "innovation"...think of what rock guitar was BEFORE Jimi, and then after...nobody played "outside the box" before Jimi...nobody was playing at such volume to create feedback, and then corral the feedback...nobody used the whammy bar like Jimi. From a structured technical standpoint, no, Jimi wasn't that proficient, but from the standpoint of expanding the boundaries of "technical", Jimi was the pioneer.

Also, someone who's NOT on the list at all, who is the FATHER of multitrack recording AND who IS magnificently technically proficient on guitar is Les Paul...at 90+ years old still playing every Monday night at some restaurant bar in NYC. And, this is some 40 years after having his right arm shattered in a car accident and "set" in guitar playing position. The man is really a genius...and could've been a standup comedian, too, he's hilarious.

Jimmy Page is geared toward the studio (much like Lindsey)...Jimmy is a master of layering & overdubbing...well, I guess you could call it "orchestrating"...guitar parts...but, LIVE? He's one of the sloppiest guitar players I've ever heard. He would barely make my top 10, much less be #2.

Eric Clapton...they didn't and don't call him "god" for nothing...he'd far and away be my #1...let me qualify this as it would probably seem like a contradiction to what I said above about JMH...I said that Jimi would DESERVE the #1 slot for innovation alone...but Clapton is my favorite.

Ok, so here's my top 10:

1) Eric Clapton
2) Peter Green
3) Chet Atkins
4) Les Paul
5) Jimi Hendrix
6) Duane Allman
7) Ry Cooder
8) Stevie Ray Vaughan
9) Buddy Guy
10) Rick Vito