View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Song length--as everyone else says. But by the time Mirage came around, the band was also working on a formula--three Stevie songs for every single album. Four or four-and-a-half songs for Christine; five for Lindsey. (That he got the most of all three only makes sense because he was the producer--and because as the sole male voice in the band, his songs balance the seven songs performed by women. That's my guess.) But then there is also the case that after Tusk, Stevie was hoarding her best material for her solo albums. Not until Say You Will do I sense FM is once again a priority commitment with re: to her songwriting.
Mirage is the one album I do think she was a bit short changed. Her song time on that album was considerably lower than both Christine and Lindsey to the tune of (the equivalent of) one whole song. Also, that was supposed to have been something of a 'come back' album. I'd have thought they'd do all they could to promote their major player as a means for shifting albums in light of Tusk's relative failure. She certainly wasn't short of material even if she was keeping her best stuff for her solo work and song for song she's arguably the strongest on Mirage.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood